Wednesday, November 21, 2007

adjusting

We had my first baptism this week. My heavens it was amazing. Alicia Hernandez was already taught when I arrived and had a baptismal date, but missed it suddenly to visit family in Mexico. When she got back, Elder Bull especially was relieved to see she was enthusiastic as ever about joining the church. She was so kind to me and was honored that her's was the first baptism of my mission. While I did not perform the baptism or the confirmation, I feel like it was very much part of me. Other missionaries might strive to be very much a part of the baptisms, but I was elated to have it the other way around. Even later when I do get the opportunity to participate more, I hope each baptism takes an active participation in my life. In any case, it was a marker and an exciting one.

And now, days later, we have a family who is starting from the beginning and I'm praying for them. It's fun to get a chance to work on my Spanish to teach the Gospel, especially with this family. They are so eager to learn. And I'm glad to have Elder Bull there when they ask about the existence of other worlds and other such extreme questions. They really want to know!

Today we had the chance to attend the Mesa Temple, an occasion we get to enjoy every 6 weeks. A well respected Temple Scholar was in the session with us and so we grabbed the opportunity to ask "deep" questions before we left. I was excited to hear my curiosities become dispelled as the answers were delivered with a ring of truth that couldn't be denied. That must be what it is like to hear about the Gospel for the first time for the firm seeker of Truth. Things just make so much sense in the Gospel. For the amount that people believe our beliefs to be mysterious and confusing, we really have such a clear understanding of much of the purposes of God. True, we don't know everything, but many people just discount their lack of any knowledge to the fact that we aren't able to comprehend God.

I am still meeting more wonderful members every day. They still help me with my Spanish as though it were a fun game. You can be sure to hold up a solid dinner conversation about why a particular country is better than all others at every single home. For example, one sister was telling us we were eating Celestial food because it was Peruvian. That is just one case. Everybody speaks better Spanish than everybody else for different reasons and you'll hear about it from each of them. I love it. And no, I have not yet met any Chileans, although, I would worry about keeping up with them. It is funny to hear different accents and try and decipher them. One family is completely incomprehensible to me. I can't even understand 3 words. And for some reason, Elder Bull speaks like the Argentines, which everybody comments on. I just keep laughing. Jackie, you'll have to let me know how I can keep my Spanish honorable amidst such a sea of confusion.

I'm not sure how it happened, but I think I am the new pianist for our Ward. I played in Sacrament meeting, in Primary and at the Baptism for Alicia. I fear I am rusty without practice and it is just a sign of how desperate they are to have me play. Others might not enjoy it, but I very much enjoy any opportunity to be at a piano. I miss music so much.

So everybody, I hope the Spirit of Gratitude has become aroused from within you as we take the opportunity to reflect at the Thanksgiving Season. It is in itself a blessing to think about how we have been blessed. I hope that you are finding more to be thankful for, as you contemplate, for truly, we can never say, "thank you" enough.

I love you, take care until next week.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: