Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the unexpected

My mission has been kind of full of rather unexpected things. That seems to be Heavenly Father's plan for me: to train me to sit back and trust Him. Speculation is futile, as has been proved to me over and over and over.

Transfers came again. Elder Snyder, after a long time in Mesa, has been sent to the branch in Tempe, where he will enjoy a car and a closer proximity to the doctor's office. In reality, it is a change that I believe should have been made as an "emergency transfer" but I don't make the calls around here. Elder Argyle and I had been together quite a long time and we were not anticipating anything else but for one of us to be transferred. However, as I said before, speculation is futile. I will be seeing Elder Argyle to the end of his mission, making us the longest companionship in known Tempe history. Even more wild and unexpected, President Craig has asked the two of us to train a new missionary together. We set up the bunk bed last night in Brother Brown's house to accommodate another bed and we are all set and very eager and excited to get to work—too bad today is P-Day and we have to relax. Elder Rands is on fire to be here and he will definitely be a powerful addition to our companionship and help us to be proud of our work here in the mission field.

It is nice to hear updates from home. I love the family, and think about you all fondly. Sometimes I even imagine what it would be like to be there, but I know that time goes on as it should and I will be able to pick up right away with all of you. I wish Steven the best, and most of all, that our Father will guide his steps. I've learned a lot about the reality that all of us have a different path, and should go forth confidently. I know this gospel is true. I have very powerful feelings about the plan of salvation, especially in light of Grandma Rose's funeral. I know all that comes to us is for the better, and all the bad that we get or that we bring to ourselves can be turned around for our upbringing and learning. I know that no pain is wasted and no frustration is in vain. Joy is the purpose of our life, but it comes at certain cost.

We went on a trip to the temple visitors' center last night with the youth for a mutual activity. We work with so many youth investigators that this was a powerful missionary activity. My testimony of the mission of Joseph Smith grows every day. By their fruits ye shall know them, and I could spend the rest of my life marveling at the fruits of this great prophet.

Okay, my time really is out. I love you. Take care.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: