Tuesday, September 11, 2007

week 1

So I am near one week in the MTC. As a piece of advice to anyone going into the MTC or anybody who would just like to know a bit about it, hang in there until the first Sunday. Each District has two teachers that help them learn the Gospel lessons and their language if going to a language mission. The teachers are inspired on how to teach, but it can be frustrating to begin. They talk mostly in the mission language, which you don't know, and you just have to kind of figure out what they are saying. Sunday is the first day you don't have classes with them, so it gives you your first chance to digest what has been happening.

Also in your first few days, you sit in a lot of seminars that make you sleepy. But they are very worthwhile. These meetings are similar to what it is like when the families drop off their missionaries. You take notes and soak it all in...even though you're tired. It's hard to believe how much sitting we do. In one of these meetings, we were told to convince ourselves that our companion is perfect, and he will be. I actually don't have to pretend, he is perfect.

Elder Nauman is from Elma, Washington (on the west side of the state near Seattle) and just graduated from High School in June. He is the type of person who has been waiting his whole life for his mission. He even took Spanish his last two years of high school, so he can answer most questions we have had so far. He was captain of the football team, on the basketball team, sang in the show choir, and is spiritual and prepared for a mission. Wow, good thing we don't compare ourselves....

The food- everyone has myths about the food in the MTC. Here's the truth. There is nothing wrong with the orange juice. The food isn't as good as home cooking. It is not as bad as regular cafeteria food. If you have eaten at a BYU cafeteria, you've eaten at the MTC. The most remarkable thing about it is that there is as much as you could ever want for every meal. This is a bad thing for some Elders who can't control themselves. As for me, I have quit sugar as a personal goal and it keeps out all the desserts. I eat salads and wraps, and Mom, I eat all my vegetables. It is a bit disappointing when they bring in the BYU Creamery Ice Cream Bar. Oh well.

I also love gym time. With all the sitting we do, it's necessary to expel all the energy you can in the 50 minute gym period. I run almost the entire time. It feels good to channel stress and worries into some good old hard running. Most of the Elders and Sisters think I'm crazy, but that's alright, I sleep really well at night, which I was worried about.

I try to miss you all, but I don't really have much time to think about home. If I did, I wouldn't be concentrating on what I'm doing. I'm glad that I've had enough experience being away from home, that homesickness is not something I am dealing with. Maybe I'll feel it in a few months or a year, but by then, Grandma and Grandpa will be back in Arizona and I'll be fine. I love you and pray for you. God be with you 'til we meet again.

-Samuel the Elder

P.S. My email is swbostwick@myldsmail.net
My DearElder.com address is

Elder Sam Bostwick
Provo MTC Mission
MTC Box# 273 Departure Date: November 6th
Mission Code: Arizona Tempe
2005 N. 900 E.
Provo UT 84604-1793
(I think, I'm not really sure how it works, but that should be all the info. you need. Congratulations Jon for figuring it out already.)

No comments: