Wednesday, September 17, 2008

deep cleaning

In our mission we started a bi-annual deep cleaning tradition. Our final cleaning checks normally take place the P-Day before General Conference, and we must have every item on a detailed and lengthy list checked off before we are permitted to leave for normal P-Day activities. Last Friday we received a call from the Mission Housing Coordinators that said our inspection was coming a bit early, in fact the following Thursday, or tomorrow. Our poor San Luis house was not cleaned 6 months ago for the first General Conference deep clean and therefore there was a significant amount of grime that had been building for, I would guess, the entire ten years that missionaries have lived in our house. Being the nitpicker that I am, I have invested a great deal of time to scrubbing, sweeping, pushing, mopping, and washing. Moral of the story: keep your houses clean. The Spirit will not dwell where it is not comfortable. Cleanliness in ourselves and in our homes are prerequisites to having the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. It is so disappointing to me to see the laziness of past elders, but also it is so gratifying to feel the Spirit enter more fully as we put in the effort to make our house a house of God.

Other than that, we have had a good week. Elder Snyder and I both wish that we could be enjoying a beautiful fall somewhere else in the world, simply for the weather and wonder of the season. I remember feeling the same way during the winter months of last year. Arizona's lack of variety makes appreciation for God's marvelous creations in other places so much grander. A blessing upon returning home after two years of missionary service will be to come back home to the wonderful feeling of the four seasons, in time for the end of a mild summer to welcome fall, and delight in a white winter.

I feel very grateful to be a missionary this week. Just like cleaning a house of all of the old grime and sludge, cleaning and purifying ourselves takes time. What a blessing it is to take a concentrated amount of time to scrub, mop, wash, and polish as I pray, study and repent. I can't thank my Father in Heaven enough for the immense gift He gave me, even though I didn't want it before (you might even say I thought of it disdainfully), to serve him for these two years.

I pray you are all well and happy and are enjoying or will enjoy a wonderful autumn. Stay positive and happy. I love you all.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sam,
I just found your blog on Shayla's blog. I loved reading it! You sound like a missionary, and that makes me so happy. I know you would be an awesome missionary! I would admit, though, that I do miss having you drop by and listening to you sing. I hope you get an opportunity to sing now and then. Keep up the good work. Your entire life will be better because of your mission.
Love,
Gramma Dunford