Wednesday, September 10, 2008

a year

I don't know if anybody else noticed, but I hit my one year mark this week. I have to say, I did notice, and with many mixed emotions. I always have been of the opinion that a year is a long time, and even now there are days, even weeks where a year seems an eternity. There is no doubt that a lot can happen in a year, but as time is, we don't notice it passing until we look back. I now can say that my first year went fast from my current perspective. I feel an urgency now that I only have a year left. There is and should be an urgency in life. We are working towards a goal, and it requires constant work. Little efforts and small sacrifices made constantly and carefully and faithfully are the things that make the difference. How often do we see somebody jumping great big jumps to get to a destination on foot? Rather a pattern of step by step progress is developed to help us achieve goals and work toward our divine potential. With the feeling of urgency we hurry the progress and improve more quickly. Though missionary life is almost like a moving-sidewalk in the airports, where progress is automatic, there is still so much more I could and should be doing. One year, on your mark, get set, Go!

Our trip to Tempe was wonderful. I cannot explain what a welcome change from the norm it was. It always is a valuable experience to see past companions and friends from the mission, and it was a great blessing to know that I still do have friends outside of Yuma. I look forward to moving back to the valley someday and having more contact with more missionaries, as it is a source of powerful motivation. Our Zone Conference was truly inspirational. Each of the messages and trainings was what I needed. I felt the Spirit as we were taught by our leaders. Our mission president, President Craig, is a spiritual man. I hope to become more like him with time. And Elder Lee, the Area Seventy had a great message for us. Although time didn't end up fitting our temple trip, we did not leave spiritually unfilled.

We have had a great week since, with a wonderful baptism, some great lessons, and a few new people to teach. It has been so easy to see the blessings we have been given in the last little while and I just pray that we can work hard enough to try and deserve them. It is great to be here.

I hope you are all doing well and that you too can recognize the blessings the Lord is bestowing on you. Even in trials, we receive blessings, plus the promise that after faithfully enduring hardships we will receive an increase of faith in God. I know this is the true Church. The life of every person would improve upon committing themselves more fully to living the principles of the gospel and obeying God's commandments. I feel so blessed to already know of the gospel, let's remember those who are still waiting to hear it.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: