Wednesday, February 25, 2009

another mesa week

Dear Everybody,

So I love being a missionary. It makes me sad when other missionaries don't love it. That's all.

This week, I had a monumental sighting--a Terry sighting. On an exchange with another missionary, we were riding past an Ace Hardware on Gilbert Road and I saw a very familiar old man. I shouted, "Terry!" and we talked for a few minutes. He assured me that he already had the mission president's number and they were going to call for permission to take my companion and me out to lunch one of these days. I can't wait to see Grandma. Terry says she is doing very well, and that the "good old MarJean is back, though she didn't say hello when she got here." In Mesa, I feel so much closer to reality than I ever did in San Luis, and I am grateful for it in many ways. I am also grateful that I did have time to take myself out of the real world and focus on what I am here for, it helps me out now that I am here, back in Babylon.

We went to the temple this morning, a privilege I didn't have in the Yuma Zone, and it was wonderful. We've got a great group of missionaries in the Mesa area, and it is great to work with them.

Elder Argyle and I have been going to a lot of meetings. Almost a month and a half ago, Elder Perry came to the Arizona Tempe Mission to talk with the stake and ward leaders about missionary work. We have now been visiting each of the local ward missionary coordination meetings to ensure that they are putting into practice the principles that Elder Perry taught. We are so blessed with strong members who are willing and enthusiastic to serve the Lord. I have enjoyed very much meeting them and learning from their examples as we help their missionary skills improve. Someday, they'll just rearrange the letters in Arizona, and change the state name to AraZion. It seems like we're getting pretty close ....

I learn a lot every week about how to be a better missionary, a better friend, and a better disciple of my Savior. It is so wonderful to be a missionary, and I thank all of you for influencing me, and tricking me to do good things, and getting me on my mission. Your influence can never be forgotten. Keep on chugging!

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: