Wednesday, December 12, 2007

one week to transfers and counting ...

There is an anticipation leading up to transfers that I find very interesting. Apparently with a fairly new Mission President, nobody really knows what to expect when transfers come around. Some are excited, others afraid, I just want it to come.

In the last week I have discovered a lot about my situation in the mission. Apparently, my district for the last few months has been known for being the most "apostate." There are a lot of negative feelings amongst the missionaries and it really hinders the work. Everybody is trying to make predictions for what will go down next Wednesday at our transfer meeting, but like I said, nobody has any real educated guesses.

A section of our mission became part of the Phoenix Mission on Sunday. This meant a lot of companionships became threesomes for a short time until our transfers when they will be dispersed into the rest of the mission. This adds more tension to the upcoming transfer.

One of my companions from the MTC, Elder Rutt is now in my same ward with the other Spanish companionship. It's strange to see him again. The MTC feels like a very long time ago, but the last 5 weeks have moved very quickly. We've both grown a lot.

I don't know who says that it never rains in Arizona ... it has been raining for 2 weeks almost every day. And everybody else is bundling up for colder weather. This morning we left our house in a dense fog. All this bad weather has been bad news for missionaries who are accustomed to working in perfect weather. But still Elder Bull and I worked hard this week. And it paid off I suppose.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but we are teaching a blind lady. Her brother and sister-in-law are great to testify powerfully about the church every time we are there. She quit drinking coffee and is on track to be baptized, all we need is a date.

Another family is gaining more knowledge about the nature and purpose of God. As they learn, they have more faith to do things like quit drinking alcohol, a big accomplishment for their family.

Another investigator, Steve, is something we call an "eternigator" because he mostly just likes us to come over and visit, but he never makes progress. This week, he told us that he is actually going to come to church, a huge step. Steve is funny though, he's been paying his "tithing" for months. As we leave, he goes to grab $20 that he smoothly slips to us as he shakes our hands. We turn it in every Sunday as his tithing, and told him we would bring him some tithing envelopes next time we stopped by.

Norma and Carlos have been studying with Jehovah's Witnesses for a while. We had a powerful lesson with them and they were excited to read the Book of Mormon and ask their preacher why the J. W. Bible has omitted certain scriptures.

Jorge and Marta basically know the church is true, they just need to learn more, and it's wonderful to teach them.

Of course, not everything is good. These successes come after a lot of rejection, but the field is white in Queen Creek for Spanish missionaries. I continue to work at Spanish, and it becomes a great way to make friends with the people we meet. Sharing stories about learning a language is good common ground. I have made many good friends of investigators and members of our ward. It's hard to think, in one week I could be leaving. Perhaps even more scary, Elder Bull might leave, and I will need to show a new companion everything about the work we are doing, which seems daunting right now.

This is God's work. He wants all His children to know of the Gospel and to give them the true opportunity to make a clear and educated decision. This church is so true, and it is so obvious to one who asks in faith. I am grateful to be a missionary, even though I don't get to be at home with all of you. Always do good things, I pray for you all, just think of me during the season.

Love,
-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: