Wednesday, February 27, 2008

gorgeous

I don't know if you are still getting a lot of snow in Utah, but I wanted to mention that we are loving the weather right now of a pretty consistent 75 degrees. This is why people live in Arizona. Already, there are bunches of people out enjoying the sunshine and warm breeze. People don't go outside in Utah like they do here. Every park is full of people almost all the time, it's pretty fun.

Not that we get a whole lot of time to just enjoy the weather. As our area is, we spend a lot of time in a car. Occasionally we find time to ride around on our bikes and catch some fresh air. We spend most of our time searching out people called "potentials." These are people who have in the past, met missionaries, and consented to having them back, but not at a specific appointment. It is the most productive way to find new investigators, or that's what I hear. We are finding that a lot of our potentials have very little potential. In fact, most have moved and have very nice American families living in their houses. As far as teaching, we work a lot with recent converts. One of the recent converts is someone I could just sit and learn from all day long. She is the kind of lady who thinks about things and knows how she feels about everything. I think living in a country where you didn't understand the language would give you a great deal of valuable thinking time.

In our world, we go so fast that we don't take time to think about things. I remember talking with Becca years ago and she told me about this very thing, how the pioneers must have discovered great faith in themselves as they spent quiet hours churning butter or bailing hay or other equally important, but thoughtless tasks. I wonder how much of people's problems could be worked out by themselves if they took good, prayerful time to ponder and meditate on life. Or even better, pondered and meditated on ways to serve others. In the case of my Spanish friend, she thinks about how needy other people are and worries herself about their needs. How can I lift this person's life? I know they have been struggling. Or, what would make the new family feel more comfortable in the Ward? I should invite them over for dinner and get to know them. How much opportunity do we miss to receive guidance from the Spirit, or answers to our prayers because we don't give quiet time to listen? I hope my feelings came across.

I miss you all, and hope you are well. I want you to know that I do think about you, my family and friends. I do not distract myself with your problems, but I do think about your needs and your lives. I wish there were direct ways in which I could help you when you are in need, but I trust that others will be placed to do what I would hope to do. And I trust that you all know that the Savior has given so much for us already. He, too, thinks about our needs, and is merciful and good to us in our weaknesses. Have faith in Him, come unto Him, and be saved.

I love you all, and continually pray for you. Take care. Do good things.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: