Wednesday, November 5, 2008

sick

Dear family and other readers,

I hope my email finds you all happy and well this week. I feel, for some reason, more positive and pleasant than normal, and it is great. If you are lucky, some of my good attitude will wear off into this email and you will also feel in a better disposition to handle life.

At the beginning of October, Elder Snyder and I both rejoiced when the weather cooled down. We were so relieved to open our windows and let a cool breeze run through our house while listening to the gentle music of the ice cream truck that perpetually haunts the streets of San Luis. Our joy was full, however brief, for as quickly as the cool air swept in, the heat tromped back. We grieved at the outlook of possible eternal suffering. Our fears fled a few days ago when the familiar cool air returned and the windows flew open yet again. Amidst our happiness came the warning of flu season from the mission nurse, Sister Lepetich. Elder Snyder and I laughed it off, knowing we were invincible to the effects of such an insignificant virus. After all, "cool weather" in Arizona at this time of year means lows of 70 degrees. Never having been susceptible to the flu before, I never thought it possible that I would contract it here, of all places. As though to humble me in my immune-system pride, I woke up two nights ago in the middle of the night with wrenching pains in my stomach. Details here would be inappropriate, it will suffice it to say that I didn't sleep much for the rest of the night and for the first day of my mission, Elder Snyder and I had a sick day.

Perhaps I feel so positive today because I feel so rested. I slept for a long time, and Elder Snyder (who also was sick) and I read and talked for a long time. With the help of the Priesthood and a bit of NuQuil, I feel great today, as though nothing had happened at all. Just in time for P-Day (close call).

We also had a weird Halloween, and I'm mostly just glad I never have to have a missionary Halloween again. I will include pictures of our awesome costumes, just look closely. My time's up for the day, but I really do hope you can all feel positive today.

No matter what stress, or what problem faces us, our Savior has walked through it already. We can put our trust and faith in Him, that He will provide us with comfort and peace. The gospel is, very literally, good news to the world. Let us all put more faith in the King of kings, the Lord of lords, the Prince of Peace. I know He lives and that He will not forsake us. As often as we cry unto Him, He will heed us. He desires the best for us, and as Christians, we desire the best for others. Let's reach out this week to serve someone we wouldn't have thought to before. Let's remember to forgive as we pray for forgiveness. And that's all the preaching I'll do today.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

[click on photos for the full-size view - Jay]

No comments: