Thursday, November 20, 2008

transfers

This week contained several special occasions. Elder Snyder and I were able to end our time together with some very memorable experiences. On Saturday and Sunday particularly, we were able to participate, through broadcast, in the rededication of the Mexico City, Mexico Temple. The cultural celebration on Saturday night was fantastic and so much fun, but also President Monson and President Eyring, who were both present at the event, both gave powerful messages to the Mexican Saints. I loved listening to them! It was such a special thing for me. Then Sunday, we went to see the dedication itself. Even more moving messages and testimonies were given within the Celestial Room of that beautiful temple. All in all, with our temple trip at the beginning of last week, and the rededication, the temple took a big highlight for the week. I find it hard to not have tears begin to well in my eyes in thinking about the great blessings available to us in the temple in our days. In no other time has man been so openly privileged to enter into the presence of God, and it is honoring to think that we somehow merited a mortal life in this great time in the history of the earth. It is incredible to realize that we literally have no idea who we are!

Then, ex-Elder Wood paid us a visit with some friends from Queen Creek. They were on their way to Mexico and stopped in town for the night to stay with some of the recent converts that were baptized while Elder Wood was here. I was very happy to see them, and we were able to go out to lunch with them the next day. It was fun for me.

Time going up to transfers was intense. There was no way Elder Snyder and I were going to stay together, but the speculation of all the possibilities became a constant topic of talk. We rushed home on Monday night to wait for the calls. In the end we both had to go to Tempe on Wednesday morning. Elder Snyder went to Mesa, where he is very happy as a senior companion. I went to pick up a new missionary. Transfer meeting was a treat after having not been there so many times in a row. I was able to see some of my favorite missionaries who are getting close to finishing their missions. I loved it.

The Yuma Zone fared very well and we have a great group of missionaries for this transfer. Did anybody know that Isaac Owens got his mission call to the Tempe mission? Well him and I are both serving in Yuma together now and I'm very excited! Another missionary in the zone is from Draper and knows a lot of the people I met with Draper community theatres. My companion, Elder Villasenor, is from San Antonio, Texas. I'm so excited to be his companion. Both his parents are Mexican and his family all speaks Spanish. He was prayed here to the branch--the members have wanted a Mexican missionary for a long time. At last he arrived. He's a good teacher and we'll get along really well. After so long with Elder Snyder, it is almost weird to have a new companion, but I'm adjusting quickly.

I'm happy, and everything is going well. We are excited for the progress that is coming in San Luis and hope it results in big success. We get to start from the beginning to teach ourselves the right things we can be doing with our time as well as teach the members their responsibilities in missionary work.

I hope you are all well, especially as the holiday season approaches. As times get harder, we can better appreciate how much we are protected by our obedience to the commandments of God. I love you all very much. Take care.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: