Tuesday, October 2, 2007

week 4

Can I emphasize enough how fast things change in the MTC? Wow. Thank you to all who write. I recommend reading Proverbs 25:25. Those who don't write.... read it as well and then guilt yourself into writing me. You know how to reach me.

So being in a threesome makes things unusual. I love both of my companions, but what can I say, three's a crowd. We taught our first lesson entirely in Spanish this week. I stumble and fear that I am hopelessly slow, but it's coming. There are a few more basic grammar principles to learn and then it will be a whole lot of trying to figure it out.

I continue to see people that I know, including one of the Elders from the Nauvoo Brass Band. Elder Johnson and I spent an entire dinner reminiscing and catching each other up on happenings amongst our Nauvoo friends. Elder Black and a different Elder Johnson both report to the MTC on Wednesday this week and I'm excited. I wonder which Nauvoo song we will sing first. Along with people I know, there's always connections to be made in the church. Everybody here comes from someplace and is going someplace and everybody wants you to know their friends. Dad, I met some Worthams from Santa Clara who know Grandma and she knew your name. Sister Wortham very well recognized aunt Mary's name. -As a side note, get this, the Worthams are serving their 9th mission. They've been going on missions since before I was born.

My testimony of Jesus Christ continues to grow. He is our Savior. I know it, and I know I have hope because of it. My testimony of prayer has grown. The message of the Gospel is that Jesus Christ will never fail us. Prayer is always available and is real, legitimate communication with our Father. My testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon is strong. Revelation comes from that book. I know that the words are for us, each of us, on an individual level. It is promised that we will find answers from the Book of Mormon. When in doubt, search it prayerfully. I feel like an Apostle testifying and I just keep waving my hand for emphasis. These things really are true! They aren't just nice thoughts or fabrications of fantasy to make us feel better- They are real! And I wish everybody was aware of that.

We have so many amazing firesides and devotionals and meetings. This Sunday we had a "Mission Council" with the whole MTC. It was 2 hours of the MTC Presidency and their wives and it was amazing. Their talks all seemed for me! I ate it up. And now I can't wait until General Conference. Every six months, the importance of Conference becomes so much more significant. Here I am testifying of a Prophet, and have I ever really listened? Have I ever personalized what he says? Have I ever stopped to think that the words of a Prophet are for me? Oh, how I wish I could go back and listen again now that I've realized these things. The Gospel is so vitally important, and I didn't ever know it.

I love you all. I hope you are well. I pray for you and know that God is taking care of you. My suggestion for this week is to not waste time with discouragement. Sometimes it may feel as though you deserve to feel bad about things, but Christ never did. If you are discouraged, pray for a greater testimony of the Savior. Truly, we can achieve all things with the help of the Lord. Except maybe extend my 30 minutes of email time.

Until next week,

-Elder Sam Bostwick
P.S. My mom's birthday is this Saturday, the 6th of October. If you know her, make her feel special on Saturday.

No comments: