Tuesday, October 9, 2007

week ... I don't know

Well, we reached our halfway mark in the MTC at midnight on Friday night. Just yesterday we bid farewell to a large District of Elders in our Zone. We had grown attached to several of them and it is strange to see them go. Just a reminder that the MTC never stays still. Before we know it, it will be our turn, though our destinations aren't quite as foreign as Paraguay or Chile. Every missionary in my District will be serving in the States--and every other District in our Zone has foreign destinations. We are called 'spoiled' and I can't say that I disagree.

Conference in the MTC was a strange affair. Really, I just wish my seat wasn't so uncomfortable and it might have been perfect. I breathed fresh air again when the Tabernacle Choir sang--not a single Elder in my District brought a single CD, including myself. Great music has been sucked out of my life, and it's almost painful. I did however spend some time at a piano on Sunday night. I played hymns for a while and then tried to play some classical pieces from memory it wasn't the best concert you've ever heard, but Elder Rutt was impressed I had memorized so much music.

Spanish is coming. Slowly but surely. I am working very hard to speak and draw from the vocabulary in my head, not vocab that I look at in a book. There is value in memorizing phrases, but too many Elders find themselves unaware of grammar principles because they never thought about how they apply. I have signed up for individual tutoring, not because I am behind, but because it is extra practice. The language teaching in the MTC is nothing short of miraculous. Two of my good friends from Nauvoo, Elders Black and Johnson, arrived in the MTC this week. I had only been here for 4 weeks and was able to bear a detailed testimony to them (except I mixed up the words for 'strong' and 'strength' several times without realizing it). We can teach about Joseph Smith and the pattern of dispensations and prophets all from words and principles we already know. It's a miracle.

And of course, my testimony is very strength. I mean strong. Especially that the Love of God and His individual care for us is incomprehensible. He knows us literally, as a dear friend. He knows our quirks and faults, but He doesn't worry about those. He knows what makes us happy, what lifts our Spirits, what draws love out of us and helps us to connect to others. The Father of all things, a being with such supreme power and authority truly does care about me, of all things. That is significant.

This is the Church of Jesus Christ. No other church exists that carries the authority to act in the name of Jesus Christ and no other church is entitled to Revelation by a prophet. Gordon B. Hinckley is a prophet! His counselors and the Quorum of the Twelve are servants of the Lord! I hope your life was improved by listening to them. I hope you were improved by them, I know I was.

I love you all so much. I love you all so much, that I want to hear how all of you are doing.... But really, I've been thinking this week about where I came from. Why am I the way I am? What got me here? And the answer I came up with is the heroes that have always surrounded me. To my family--I look up to you as heroes. Every day I see more ways you have been powerful influences to me. And to the many friends who might read this blog--I assure you, I think about each one of you. I promise that you have changed me and made me into a better person. Each one of you feels like a gift that has changed my life. I am honored to know you. (So write to me!)

So, until next week everybody, God be with you, although I know He already is.

With Love,
-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: