Thursday, January 24, 2008

a week well worth it

For sure the most exciting thing to report from this week is the Baptism and Confirmation of Rosalia. Her brother, also a recent convert, was able to baptize her and she was confirmed by the 1st Counselor in the Bishopric, one of the greater men I have ever met. Everything to do with the baptism was great, even the tension leading up to it and the fact that for some reason the hot water did not work in the font. Elder Robinaugh and I had fun singing a special song just for Rosalia after her baptism that she had taught us. It turned out well, and I have special pride in it because I arranged it for the piano myself. Everyone present felt the Spirit and knew that what we were witnessing was something special, not to be forgotten.

I have a powerful testimony of member missionary work. Missionaries cannot do their jobs without the support and involvement of good members of the church. I promise that if you want to feel more satisfaction in life, get involved with the local missionaries and try your best to help them out.

Jorge and Marta are friends of Rosalia. They came to the baptism and confirmation and because of new friends they made in the ward they are firm in their plans to get baptized. We were even able to watch them teach the Plan of Salvation to their daughter. It was so rewarding to hear them say things like: "What we believe is ...". Former skeptics are now so much farther on the path to conversion because of the kindness of some members.

Nailleli and Armando were caught in a trap of legal complexities dealing with immigration laws that meant they could not get married. With the help and advise of members who knew the laws, it looks as though they will soon be blessed with a legal marriage and then a baptism. I have never met anyone with such impressive willpower to live the commandments of God. A hopeless situation is now easily overcome, all because members were willing to help.

Maria is awesome. Somehow she always ends up teaching the lessons. For example, just last night we were going to teach the Word of Wisdom and were leading into the idea of obeying commandments. She interrupted explaining that she knew commandments were to protect us. She had always done her best, but she smokes, and she knows she shouldn't. She told us that her body is a temple, a gift from God, and to give it proper respect she should care for it better. She also knows without doubt that the Book of Mormon is true after only reading two chapters, I wish I were that receptive to the Spirit. Usually Elder Robinaugh and I just nod our heads during our lessons and I consider her undeniable evidence that God prepares people to receive the gospel. A family in our Ward has been so wonderful to be friendly and offer service to her such as rides to church and just company during the day.

I get so excited thinking about the progress of people I have come to love. I want them to continue to progress and know that I need to be ready to help them. As I work with people, I can tell my ability to speak is improving. There are times when I am not even sure what I am saying and wonder if I would know how to say what I do in another circumstance. I know that this is the Lord's mission and I just bring myself, willing and worthy and He molds me into the tool He needs. The beautiful thing about being a missionary is that all your time is focused on others, but both sides are blessed so much. I feel as though I should not be having such a good time or be able to recognize how I am being helped by the hand of God, but I am and I do.

God's Plan is perfect. It is created for us, His children. He is personally interested in our success and obedience, which are connected to one another. Faith is not a waste of time, rather the means by which God does His work. Thank you for your support family and friends who read this. I love you, be good.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: