Wednesday, May 21, 2008

108 degrees

Yep, we reached the high so far of 108 degrees in Chandler. It was a blow. More like a blowdryer, because that's what all wind felt like as we rode our bicycles through the heat. The only comfort is that it wasn't the worst it is going to be ... and really that's not comforting at all.

There is an advantage to being on bike, and it isn't the exercise or the fresh oven air, but rather the thinking time. Driving in a car, there is always music and conversation with your companion and, in all honesty it is a bit more productive, so the blessing of a bike is being able to ponder more often. I have thought about a lot of things. I have thought about why I am on a mission, in what ways I could improve myself as a missionary and help our investigators better, and even from time to time, what life might be like upon returning home after my two years are up. Good thing that is a long ways off, and I don't have to waste too much time thinking about it. Whenever I have time to think, I think of Becca who taught me important things about taking and using time to think when I was a kid. Now, the words of Church leaders add on to my memories of Becca's lectures (okay, not lectures, but I can't think of a better word) about being too busy. I realize how important it is to have down time. Where before, I hated to have extra time, because it meant I wasn't doing enough, I treasure a few minutes after lunch to sit and think. I may not be learning much in my down time, but I feel more balanced, more orderly, and that is important. Thanks Becca.

We had another exciting week with many good lessons and a trip to see the Joseph Smith movie with some investigators. I cry every time I see the sights of Nauvoo over the Mississippi, and hear or watch the stories of those who sacrificed so much near the birth of our Church. Particularly, the stories of Joseph touch me and make me want to know more, and bear stronger testimony of his mission and purpose as a window to our Savior. I love the Spirit I feel calling from the history of the Church, and was grateful that that Spirit was felt by our investigator, who will be getting baptized on Saturday! I am excited for Maura, and know that she will be a good and strong member of the Church, and most importantly a mother who will teach her children righteous principles and begin a legacy and heritage of gospel faithfulness.

I love working hard, and overcoming challenges. Thanks for being a wonderful family. Keep the faith, and keep feeding the faith with faithful action. I love you all but, sorry, I don't miss you. Maybe the little kids, but not the big kids. I know that after my mission, it will be sweet to rejoice with you after two years of rich and wonderful experiences for all of us. Elder Bostwick, signing out!

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: