Wednesday, January 21, 2009

slow

For some reason, time has slowed down a lot. For a long time I had been whizzing along the time warp of mission life and I was frantically searching for time sufficient to accomplish all the things I needed to do. I don't know why, but all this warp-speed has led up to a standstill, though nothing significant has changed.

I have been in San Luis for close to 8 months, roughly half of my mission and things continue to go well. It is remarkable how we always always, always find new and fruitful things to do. I know everything about almost all the member families we have on the branch list—I have personally visited 95% of them. We find new potentials and new investigators as we go about doing our things, we have success in teaching and I have witnessed further conversion to the gospel in myself and in several others in and out of the Church. It has been a miraculous time spent here and I just wonder why God let me be here for it. I continually feel that, though we go about doing good all day every day, the greatest good that is done is completely out of our hands and the credit can go to nobody else but our Father in Heaven. I told the mission president in a weekly report that I didn't know whether to beg to stay or beg to leave San Luis. We'll see what happens.

Elder Villasenor and I are almost comically different. While on an exchange, another missionary told me, "You two are quite the pair." Our opinions very rarely agree and we are always struggling to understand the others' point of view. It has been such a blessing to be with such an extreme opposite of me and find middle ground. We find happiness together in doing the Lord's work, because nothing else would make us both happy. It is a joyful challenge, and we are blessed.

My time is almost done, and I better sign off. I love you all. Be good this week, and as always, I'd love to hear from you. Bye!

-Elder Sam

1 comment:

Amy Owens said...

Elder Bostwick! This is sister Elbert. I am in Holland, and will be in Vienna soon for a study abroad program. I was setting up my blog for Vienna and found you through "the sisterhood". :D

Anyway, I wanted to say hi and send my love. It sounds like the mission is going well. I was in AZ for most of the holiday season and thought of you, so close yet so far!

Have a good day, a good week, a good rest of your mission. I'm so proud of you, and can't wait to catch up at some point! God speed, elder.