Wednesday, April 9, 2008

dear family and friends

Well, there are two weeks left for Elder Wood. I always thought that 3 months to be with the same companion would be a really long time. In some ways, I was right. Don't misunderstand, I enjoy Elder Wood still, but change is not bad. At least, monotony is not good.

We've had a pretty good week as members of the church with Conference. I thought that Conference was profoundly wonderful, and it was special for me to participate in the solemn assembly to sustain our leadership, as I was too young to remember when Gordon B. Hinckley became the prophet. I love that God is in control, and that normal men become powerful servants through sustaining of the Church, and the ordenation of the Priesthood. I don't know if the leadership of the Church is becoming cooler, or if I just am really starting to see how cool they have always been. I am excited for the new First Presidency and can't wait to hear more of their messages in the future.

On Monday, we had our interviews with the mission president. I really enjoy talking with President Craig. He is a very spiritual man, and always speaks as he feels guided and directed. To open up the day of interviews, he began sharing with us his feelings that missionaries come to this mission in particular to learn about how to be leaders in the Church. Mission-wide we are blessed with bishops and stake presidents who are powerful men, obedient to the gospel and knowledgable and dedicated to their callings. I don't know if I could be a church leader, but it is a good thing to learn from men who do better than I ever could.

The mission set a goal to have every companionship baptize two people this transfer (6 week period). Elder Wood and I don't have any prospects of baptizing anybody in the next 2 weeks before the transfer ends. In fact, it has been a while since I have been working with anybody who is approaching baptism. I hope I can figure out what to do better and have been praying fervently to find people who will accept the gospel.

The people we are working with are chugging along. I think we have overloaded one couple, Camelia and Octavio. They asked for more time learning from us before they would say yes or no to being baptized. I hope that they don't feel too urged or pressured with member friends talking unceasingly about baptism.

Each day we work to overcome our own problems to become more bendable and workable with the will of the Lord. I am learning that it really is hard work, not just light effort. This requires work in ways I have never worked before. Until we have cause to rejoice, I will rejoice in the work I have to do. I feel like the Savior spoke directly to me when we he said to his apostles, "You have not chosen me, but rather I have chosen thee" (paraphrased). It is a marvelous miracle that I am on a mission. I know that God sent me here, though I had not chosen Him, I have felt it. I know God calls us and then shapes our backs for the labor we have been called to bear. I wish I were more moldable material to work with... then it wouldn't be so hard to become what He needs.

I hope you are all well, and have confidence that if anything big happened, you would find a way to tell me. I remind you that small news over there will be big news here. I should do well to remember the same thing, I suppose. Take care, fuel your testimonies, and be more diligent in keeping the commandments. God always blesses us when we obey His words, that is a law under which our Father functions. I know it is true. I love you all. To my sisters, take care of the little kids and tell them I love them too and miss them very much.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: