Wednesday, April 2, 2008

exchanges

Exchanges are a strange thing for a Spanish elder. As my companion is a District Leader over a few other companionships in our district, we have to go on exchanges with the other companionships as well as with the Zone Leaders. For English elders, I imagine that these are nothing but vacations from a companion or an area for a day and then returning to work, but as a Spanish elder, life gets turned upside down on exchange days. Sometimes I stay in our area, which means I have a companion who does not speak the same language as any of the people we talk to and cannot help in any way, often doesn't enjoy the food, and who is bored all day. Which means that I have to talk in Spanish more than I normally do and be the only teacher and shoulder all responsibility for the day--very stressful. And sometimes I leave the area and go as a companion to an English elder in their area. On those days, I feel as though I am in a foreign world. The English elders cover 4-5 Wards each, meaning that it's rare for them to know many members in their area. They might know bishops and ward mission leaders, and that's about it. They spend most of their time talking to people that the wards give as referrals or inactive members or part-member families. It is a completely different world of missionary work, and I feel lost--very stressful.

With all the stress of that, I like the days of normality, where it is me and my companion like regular. I like the way things work in our ward. I love knowing almost every family (there is still one family I have talked to briefly, but wouldn't consider I know them yet) and being in their homes often for dinners and to offer service and check up personally on their referrals. I have become very fond of our ward and my heart will break when I have to leave. Things have been fun with them helping me in my Spanish and learning from their examples as strong members. I find a lot of joy serving in Queen Creek, even though I don't baptize thousands. In fact, despite all our work, we don't have any near prospects for baptism, I pray every day that will change.

The Church is true. It is the embodiment of the fulness of times living the laws and making the covenants that are the heart of the Church of Jesus Christ. I love seeing others make their own covenants with the Lord and receiving the blessings from that. We always receive blessings upon our obedience, in every case. The Savior said himself that He is bound when we do what He says. I love this Gospel, and am very happy to be a missionary--though of course life is not perfect. But life was never meant to be perfect, not yet. That's what we're working on earning--perfect. Be good everybody, I love ya. Enjoy the brisk weather. It's pretty warm down here. Just about perfect...

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: