Wednesday, April 16, 2008

not a lot

Not a lot has happened this week. Elder Bull (my trainer who was transferred back into our Ward) and Elder Wood are both making final preparations to leave for home. The mission requires a lot of papers--letters to the President, forms, records, and other stuff--as well as interviews and special testimony meetings, temple trips, and the final night in the mission home. I think it makes ending your mission unecessarily tedious. I know there are good intentions in all of it, but maybe the mission office to be more considerate and just let missionaries be missionaries until the day they go home. Depending on when the BYU semester begins in Fall 2009, I might be lucky enough to leave two or three days early and miss a lot of the tedious business when my time comes to go home. In any case, I have a lot of time to think about all of that.

Dad, you especially will appreciate the humor that an investigator told me I should be a lawyer. It is interesting to think of the impression people get of missionaries in comparison to who the missionary actually is. For example, I was always under the impression that missionaries were perfect and never made mistakes and were completely obedient all the time. The tragedy is that this is not true. I am always saddened to hear stories of "apostate" missionaries who forget the purpose of their short time of service. I will never understand the selfishness behind these actions and hope I can keep myself and my companions far away from trouble.

We are making good progress with people. In fact, the investigator who thinks I should be a lawyer (a lady who moved from Mesa, so we received the referral from the Mesa missionaries) apparently had a lot more doubts than we had known. She opened up to us rather unexpectedly and has made a huge jump in the progress of her testimony. Her future daughter-in-law also explained a lot more clearly than ever before her hesitations to plan her wedding so that she can become baptized. The more people trust you, the more they will tell you what they need. God prepares the way, and I have no fear. I just wish other missionaries weren't so focused on achieving numbers rather than just working hard with what is given to you.

Rosalia, the blind convert, gave a talk in sacrament meeting on Sunday. That was rewarding. She shared her feelings on her first General Conference in the Church. She is an example to the ward, and a rapidly progressing new member. She, and her brother and sister-in-law asked Elder Wood and me to come by and visit, even though they don't live in our area. Brother Toledo, who was baptized a year ago, just receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and he is making preparations to go through the Temple. They invited me to go with them and accompany them in the temple for his first time. What a great family. They also explained, in great faith, how they are waiting for the approval of ex-spouses for all their children to be sealed in the temple. They have truly set examples to me in my life.

Well, take care. I love you all and miss you. I am doing well, and anticipating a new change coming this next week. I'm sorry I am so bad at writing. It is not because I don't want to. Missionaries are a lot more social than I ever would have expected, and it is impossible to focus to write enough letters. I miss you all, but not too much. Let the kids know I love them and think they are great. I love you all.

-Elder Sam Bostwick

No comments: